[DB-SIG] DCOracle help

Andy Todd andy47@halfcooked.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:27:03 +1100

Hugh,

Welcome to the wonderful world of databases and Python.

Hugh Frater wrote:

> I'm a 1st year computer science student at Cardiff university, and
> have decided to use python to implement my first year project (WWW
> based library system). I have also decided to use the uni's oracle
> box to to the database stuff on. I've got the sys admin to install
> DCOracle, but am having real trouble with the following:
>
> I can't find any DCOracle documentation out there!

http://www.zope.org/Products/DCOracle

Should be your starting point. If its not there, it doesn't exist.

> And,
>
> If I try and create a cursor from my connection object, I get a
> message which says that cursor is not supported on my Connection
> object. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong. I presume that my
> import oci_ line is OK?
>
> Any help would be great,
> Hugh Frater

Ah, now your other problem is that DCOracle is an old interface module
and is largely deprecated these days - apart from folks who have it
running like a dream of course ;-)

The major drawback of DCOracle is that its written using the Oracle 7
OCI libraries and these are a definite no-no these days according to the
lovely people at Redwood Shores. It will work with Oracle8i and above
but you are into the realms of tin can and string solutions, so its best
to use a more up to date interface module (like DCOracle2 or cx_Oracle).

Its minor drawback is that it doesn't comply with the Python DB-API 2.0
(http://www.python.org/topics/database/DatabaseAPI-2.0.html) and most of
the people on this list are more conversant with that syntax and would
be able to be more helpful if you were too.

If all else fails, perhaps you could post your code and we can take a
stab at debugging it anyway. For starters, we could tell you whether or
not your import line is OK.

Regards,
Andy
 From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq.
"So I curtailed my Walpoling activities, sallied forth and infiltrated
  your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy
  comestibles." - Monty Python.