[DB-SIG] Beginner's last words

Andy Dustman andy@dustman.net
21 Mar 2002 17:48:05 -0500

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 17:14, Ignacio Guerrero wrote:
> Andy: (I really don't know if I should address to you as Andy or Mr Dustman
> but, as everyone in this mail list addresses everyone else by their first
> name...)
>
> I've been looking, in many different ways, for a solution to my problem. I
> believe I may not been enterelly clear, so I'll try to put it in a different
> way:
>
> I downloaded two versions of the same module:
>
> - MySQL-python-0.9.1.tar.gz: This one, I've been told, is NOT the one I need
> but, has its own HTML documentation.

Yes, this is the source distribution, and unless you have a C compiler
(not common on Windows machines), you can't compile the _mysql module.
However, the documentation is perfectly good.

> - MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.2.exe: This is the one I installed on my
> computer. It's ment to work on "case-insensitive brain-dead operating
> systems" which I agree. It has no HTML documentation so I looked for the
> comments in the module. The module is called CompatMysqldb.py and this are
> its comments:

You probably don't want to use this module.

You have a couple of options:

1) Use the HTML docs from the source distribution.

2) Use the online docs:

   http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=22307

3) Use pydoc. Not sure how you would invoke pydoc as a separate program
on windows, or if it would work, but you can do this in Python 2.2:

>>> import MySQLdb
>>> help(MySQLdb)

No examples that I recall in the built-in documentation, but the HTML
documentation certainly does.

Also, the reason you see no MySQLdb.py is because MySQLdb is a Python
package, i.e. it's a directory with an __init__.py file in it.

--
Andy Dustman         PGP: 0x930B8AB6
    @       .net     http://dustman.net/andy