[DB-SIG] Porting a Postgres Python library to Ingres?

hme@informatik.uni-rostock.de hme@informatik.uni-rostock.de
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:30:06 +0100

Hello Hamish,

You (Hamish Lawson) wrote:
> I need a Python module for Ingres. The only one I have found is at
>
>     http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~hme/software/
>
> However it claims a thread safety of only 0,

This means I didn't care about thread safety up to now.  I think, my
code (ingmod.ec) can easily be converted into thread safe code but I'm
not sure about the Ingres runtime library and thread safety, e.g. the
IISQLCA structure is static and the handling seems to be not thread
safe.  The first time thread safety was mentioned in the ESQL for C
manual was in Version 2.0 of OpenIngres.  So all the embedded SQL
statements have to be put in a ciritcal region.  This will be the case
in the next version of my ingmod Module.

>                                              and I think it may need
> some development in other areas.

Which other areas You are refering to?  Maybe I'm working on it?  Due
to heavy workload (book project) I didn't published a new version but
there were several bug fixes, enhancements ... in the last year.

>                                  Therefore I was wondering how feasible
> it would be to port one of the Postgres Python libraries (pgdb, psycopg
> or PyPgSQL) to Ingres; I'm hoping that the historical relationship
> between Ingres and Postgres means that there will be some similarity in
> the C API (does anyone know if this is so?).

AFAIK, even UCB Ingres and UCB Postgres didn't share any piece of code.

I'll hope to have the new [thread safe] version out end of April.  I'll
let You know by email.

Peace

Holger

--
Holger Meyer, Uni of Rostock, Dpt. of CS, DB Research Group
hm at IEEE.org, http://wwwdb.informatik.uni-rostock.de/