[DB-SIG] Duplicate mails

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:51:01 +0100

At 10:42 2002-11-04 +0200, Jekabs Andrushaitis wrote:
>3) If you do not get all the messages in number of two, but just replies to
>your own mails, people might
>be using Reply to both yourself and the list :)

In that case only one of the mails will have the "DB-SIG" footer
in the bottom. It should also be evident from the headers.

I think it's very reasonable to do "Reply to all" on direct
questions like this. These duplicates isn't a big problem for
the recipient, once you understand them. I'm not sure if you
can post to this list without being subscribed, but you can
certainly have daily disgest mode set, in which case you won't
get a reply sent only to the list at once. Thus mailing direct
to the person asking is reasonable. Replying also to the list
has several values as well. Others will see that they don't need
to reply. People looking through mailing list archives will find
answers, not only questions. (This is always a good thing to do
before asking questions.) Also, the other subscribers on the list
learn things from the replies.

If it's more of a discussion, and not a direct question, I tent
to do "Reply to all" to get the first line right "N N wrote:"
instead of "you wrote:", but edit the To: and/or Cc: fields
so that only the list gets the mail.

>41 Lacplesa Str.

Hey, I stayed on Lactplesa Iela when I was teaching Tuxedo in
Riga this spring! :)

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN