[DB-SIG] Popy - Psycopg - PyPgSQL - PyGreSQL

Federico Di Gregorio fog@initd.org
01 Oct 2002 16:30:01 +0200

--=-wJCfoaeeqUvLOPMYmfc0

Il mar, 2002-10-01 alle 16:08, Magnus Lycka ha scritto:
> At 15:20 2002-10-01 +0200, Gerhard H=E4ring wrote:
> >Easy one:
> >http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DbApiModuleComparison?action=3Dsh=
ow
>=20
> Ok, that's a start...I was more wondering if
> it was done already...
>=20
> What do I see...
> psycopg ... GPL
>=20
> I suppose that means that applications that import
> that module will be GPL as well...

well, no. you're not directly linking to it, python does and python
license is GPL-compatible. then you call psycopg *through* python using
a well defined api, so your code can be anything. this is an edge case,
but my interpretation is that as long as:

	1/ you don't use psycopg code without python, by linking
           directly into your app; and
	2/ you release modifications to psycopg

you should be ok. this is just an interpretation, i hope FSF will
clarify this dark corner in a future version of the GPL.

> Is this your intention Federico, that people should only
> be able to build open source software if they use psycopg?

for work i do programming and consulting, using almost only free
software. my way to give back to the community that helps me pay my rent
and food is to release all my code under a free license. i hope others
do the same, but if they don't, then let's have them pay for it.=20
(to be read: if you want to develop a proprietary product using psycopg
and the above interpretation of the GPL does not satisfy you, pay me
enough and i'll change the license :)

--=20
Federico Di Gregorio
INIT.D Developer                                           fog@initd.org
  Spesso crescere ed andare a vivere da soli =E8 l'unico modo di restare
   bambini.                                             -- Alice Fontana

--=-wJCfoaeeqUvLOPMYmfc0

--=-wJCfoaeeqUvLOPMYmfc0--