[DB-SIG] Re: [Psycopg] GPL or LGPL

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:52:22 +0200

At 01:19 2002-10-02 +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>let's restate the problem: bash is GPL'ed. should *any* sh script be
>released under the GPL? or only the ones using bash extensions to
>standard bourne shell? and why is python (and its extension psycopg)
>diferent from a shell?

Do you suggest that a python program that is written
for vanilla DB-API 2 and happens to work with psycopg
could be proprietary, but a python program that uses
unique features in psycopg can not?

The issue is (I suppose) whether the python program
is a derivate work of psycopg.

I don't think there is any doubt that python code that
uses unique features of psycopg must be considered a
derivate work, just as a novel about the hobbit Frodo
is a derivate work of Tolkiens books, and thus a
copyright infringement if published without permission.

But is it enough with "import psycopg" to make it a
derivate work if the rest of the code is generic DB API2
code?

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5