[DB-SIG] WHat's the status of DB modules and datetime.py support?

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Dec 30 16:35:41 EST 2003

We're trying to find a Python DB module for Postgres that includes
native support for 2.3's datetime.py date types - so dates come out of
the database as datetime objects and datetime objects are converted to
postgres date times on insert/update transparently.

We haven't found one yet. Is there any movement within the Python DB
community towards 2.3's datetime.py? It seems like a great way of
dealing with dates, but the current batch of DB modules all appear to
use their own convention. Is this something that the DB API standard
should cover?

Any tips on how to best deal with the transfer of dates from Python to
Postgres and back again would be welcome.

Thanks,

Simon Willison
Web development weblog: http://simon.incutio.com/