[DB-SIG] Using embedded MySQL (libmysqld) in Python

sambhare at cae.wisc.edu sambhare at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:49:33 EST 2003

Hi,

Some background first. I'm working on a open source video transcription
application, Transana (www.transana.org). Transana is written in Python and has
both a multiuser and a single user version. We are currently using MySQL server
in the multiuser version, and would ideally like to use the MySQL embedded
version in the single user version.

We are using the MySQLdb module to connect to MySQL in the multiuser version. Is
there any way of using this module to also connect to the embedded version of
MySQL? Is it possible to use the ctypes module to load the dynamic library, and
use it via the MySQLdb module from that point?  Has anybody faced this kind of
problem before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rajas Sambhare
Developer
Wisconsin Center for Education Research,
Madison, WI