[Distutils] Backwards compatability: opinions?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:44:11 -0500

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 11:28:01AM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
> Hi folks --
>
> I wonder if anyone has strong opinions as to which version(s) of Python
> the Distutils should support/require.  I've found a number of silly
> little bugs in the 1.5.1 library (I'm coding on my home PC, which isn't
> running the latest beta... yet) that have been fixed in 1.5.2.  The
> temptation is to assume that everyone is running 1.5.2, and if they're
> not... too bad.
>
> The alternative is to allow (at least) 1.5.1, and provide
> reimplementations of the buggy functions so that Distutils can work on
> pre-1.5.2 Pythons.

Well, how about grabbing the fixed versions out of 1.5.2, shoving them
into a sub-package (Distutils.Fixed), and then just loading the correct
ones on startup?   I don't think there's anything in the 1.5.2 library
that can't be used under 1.5.1.

Chris