[Distutils] generating pyc and pyo files

Michael P. Reilly arcege@shore.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:06:34 -0500 (EST)

> Michael P. Reilly <arcege@shore.net> said:
>  > I disagree.  I see no reason to double the size of the
>  > distribution by shipping redundent files (on average, a .pyc
>  > is 78.786% of a .py, based on the Python 1.5.1 distribution;
>  > .pyo is 88.148%).
>
> Andrew Dalke, on 29 March 1999, writes:
>  > "build" directory.  The .pyo and .pyc files are generated
>  > in the build directory on the local (downloaded) machine.
>
> Greg Ward writes:
>  > Well, actually, you're both right.  Compiling .py files at build time
>  > will not affect *source* distributions, which is what Andrew is talking
>
>   And I say Michael's figures are conservative; most .pyc files are
> larger than the .py files.  (I've attached a simple script to compare
> the sizes; Unix only.)

They aren't just conservative, they are downright misleading - I mixed
the ratios in the email, sorry.  The 78.768% is supposed to be the size
of .py to .pyc and 88.148% is .py to .pyo, not the other way around.

These were averages based on the modules available thru sys.path at
home (318 .pyc files, 213 .pyo files); it only included values where
there were both a .py and .pyc or both .py/.pyo so the averages weren't
thrown off.

>   -Fred

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly, Release Engineer | Email: arcege@shore.net        |
| Salem, Mass. USA  01970             |                                |