[Distutils] install_scripts and install_data commands

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 21:08:46 -0400

On 27 April 2000, Bastian Kleineidam said:
>   I wrote a patch for the above commands.
>   Both commands derive from install_misc, which copies some files to a
>   given directory and is defined in cmd.py.
>   With the attached patch you can now have "scripts=[...]" and
>   "data=[...]" attributes in setup.py.

Finally got around to looking over this patch and checking it in: thanks
again!

However, I just realized a problem: we probably should have a
"build_scripts" command, to ensure that the proper "#!" line is in the
installed scripts.  If someone distributes scripts with
"#!/usr/local/bin/python" or however Python happens to be installed on
their system, there's no guarantee it'll work on the installation
system.  But I don't think we should rely on everyone using the
"#!/usr/bin/env" hack, either: the first python on the path isn't
necessarily the right one.  I think the python used to run the setup
script is what should go on the #! line.

Opinions?

Bastien, can you whip up a "build_scripts" command?  Should be pretty
easy -- just copy the scripts to "build/scripts" and tweak the first
line as appropriate.

Thanks --

        Greg
--