[Distutils] bdist_innoinst ?!

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Wed Jul 25 07:02:38 2001

From: "David Arnold" <arnold@dstc.monash.edu.au>
> -->"Marc-Andre" == M -A Lemburg <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>   Marc-Andre> bdist_wininst is perfect for pure Python packages and
>   Marc-Andre> probably most binary extensions too, but there are a
>   Marc-Andre> small number of instances which do require more
>   Marc-Andre> functionality and since Inno Setup is free, I thought it
>   Marc-Andre> would be a good idea to add support for it to distutils.
>
> one feature i would dearly like (and it might even be provided by the
> current installer?) is the ability to run unattended installs from the
> scheduler.
>
> we do automated nightly build/test stuff, and at the moment, my Python
> packages are not tested on windows because i can't find a way to get
> the installer to run unattended.
>
> does anyone know if the current bdist_wininst can do this?  i'd be
> interested in helping to add it, either via Inno or otherwise.
No, it cannot. But it would probably be a useful feature...

Another possibility is the following:
bdist_wininst created exe-Files are also zip-Files,
and can be opened by Winzip and probably also Info-Zip's
unzip program. So you _could_ write a batch file which unzips
the distribution into a certain place.

(That reminds me that I have promised to write more
docs for bdist_wininst. Later, as usual.)

Thomas