[Distutils] Re: buildpkg.py to evaluate (Was: Python packagemaker for OS X Installer.app)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun Nov 18 09:29:01 2001

Jack Jansen wrote:

> Recently, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> said:
> > Hmm, I think we have to do something about the development process
> > for distutils. AFAIK, Andrew is the current distutils champion --
> > perhaps we ought to be a little more flexible w/r to checkins
> > and allow more people to review the distutils patches ?!
>
> Yes, definitely. I've also had distutils Mac support miss 2.0 because
> of this... No critique implied, I fully understand that people have
> priorities, but I think we should get rid of bottlenecks if at all
> possible.

Right -- we should allow for distutils updates *between* Python
releases too.

> > Mark, we won't get your patches into Python 2.2 because of the feature
> > freeze, so there's currently no chance to check in your patches,
> > but after 2.2 is out we could look at doing those checkins right
> > away and perhaps even create a separate distribution of distutils
> > before Python 2.3 goes out the door.
>
> Hmm, personally I wouldn't object to features of this type, which will
> probably be of the form of a single new bdist_foobar module and little
> else. I know I'm taking the "no new features" dictum rather liberally
> for MacPython. But that might be the Amsterdammer in me, others may
> feel different:-)

That may be easy for the Mac port, it certainly is not for the
CVS trunk. IMO, that's ok for distutils installation parts, since
these must be very stable. The development parts however could
change more frequently, since developers will usually be more flexible
in handling possible bugs in new minor releases.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH