[Distutils] How to specify the compiler

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon Aug 19 05:11:02 2002

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 10:08 , Rene Liebscher wrote:
> Distuitls use always the compiler used for compilation of Python.
> It reads it from the Python Makefile, if I remember right.
> And it get there also the compiler options.
> So a possible solution would be create an script called cc, put in your
> PATH
> and try it this way.

Note that you aree living dangerously if you're pulling trics like this.
Mixing object files generated by gcc with object files generated with cc
isn't guaranteed to work, that's one of the reasons distutils picks the
same compiler as  was used to build Python itself.

If you must absolutely use gcc the best solution is probably to rebuild
Python with gcc.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -