[Distutils] How to specify the compiler

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Aug 19 05:41:02 2002

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> writes:

> Note that you aree living dangerously if you're pulling trics like
> this. Mixing object files generated by gcc with object files generated
> with cc isn't guaranteed to work, that's one of the reasons distutils

For plain C (not C++) that should work, as gcc uses the calling
conventions of the native C compiler. And under Linux, where gcc is
"native", other compilers proudly announce gcc linking compatibility.

While there remains a small risk of incompatibility, I would like to
see some straightforward way to change compilers as well. For example,
I would like to try Intel's new C compiler for Linux on some modules,
but I haven't done so yet because it's too much work either to
recompile Python (and all add-on packages) or to work around
distutils.

Konrad.