[Distutils] updated SF patch

Fri May 31 14:56:52 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 01:43:24PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>Good point.  Is the core API documented anywhere?  I can't tell what
>is intended to be part of the API and what is accidentally exposed by
>the implementation.

No reference docs were ever written, AFAIK, so we'll just have to
follow Python convention: methods prefixed with an underscore are private, otherwise public.

>The getopt code is probably the most complex argument processing code
>I've ever seen.  I've got no idea if I've preserved backwards
>compatibility where necessary.

Assuming OptionParser (or whatever Greg names it) gets checked in,
distutils.fancy_getopt can get deprecated.

>Does it mean we need to support all the optional verbose keyword args
>even though they will be ignored?

I guess so; maybe there should be a warning when 'verbose' is supplied.

It would be nice if there was a list of packages that do fancy
Distutil customization, so that we'd know what to test against.
Anyone want to volunteer for this?

--amk