[Distutils] Killing off bdist_dumb

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Nov 15 03:33:13 2002

Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
>>Andrew, was the use of full paths the problem that kept you
>>from using it?
>

> After revisiting some experiments, I can say that full paths was the
> issue that kept me from using it.
>
> While I note MAL's point about sub-classing, that is only useful from
> the POV of a module author.

You probably mean "packager". The developer isn't necessarily
the same person, e.g. a user might want to build from source
then redistribute a package in some other way.

> My POV is that of a 3rd party who wants to build & distribute installable
> module binaries to accompany a non-PythonLabs Python binary distribution.
>
>>From this POV, on the particular platform I'm supporting, what I want is
> bdist_dumb to default to using paths relative to sys.prefix.

Please don't change defaults: this only introduces hassles for
packagers since they'll have to add multi-version support to
their setup.py which only complicates the process.

If you want to add new functionality, provide a command option
and then use that in your code. If you want to use this as default,
place the option into the setup.cfg file.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH