[Distutils] Killing off bdist_dumb

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre@aba.gov.au
Thu Nov 14 18:37:01 2002

> Andrew, was the use of full paths the problem that kept you
> from using it?

After revisiting some experiments, I can say that full paths was the
issue that kept me from using it.

While I note MAL's point about sub-classing, that is only useful from
the POV of a module author.

My POV is that of a 3rd party who wants to build & distribute installable
module binaries to accompany a non-PythonLabs Python binary distribution.

>From this POV, on the particular platform I'm supporting, what I want is
bdist_dumb to default to using paths relative to sys.prefix.

I tried to suss out what changes might achieve this, and the simplest
option that occurred to me was to move down the extra directory levels
when changing directory into the "dumb" directory prior to zipping
things up.  This is not too bad for OS/2, where the installation
structure has always been simple & consistent across releases, but
other platforms are more involved.

A bdist_dumb option to select between full & relative paths would be
Ok.

Andrew MacIntyre                  \ E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au
Planning & Licensing Branch        \ Tel:   +61 2 6256 2812
Australian Broadcasting Authority   \ Fax:  +61 2 6253 3277
-> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <----------------------------------