[Distutils] installing data files and headers

Kevin Turner acapnotic@twistedmatrix.com
Fri Apr 18 18:26:02 2003

--=-iXdo8wVkbgwOWsLADvJG

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 18:14, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:31:00AM -0500, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> >Another problem we've been struggling with for Zope projects is that
> >distutils really only installs Python modules and extensions.  It's
> >support for data files [...] is pretty limited.
>=20
> Good idea.  We have a similar subclass for Quixote that installs *.ptl
> files, and it's a common need.

That it is.  I've also had need for this (Twisted applications may want
to distribute plug-in or other data/template files alongside modules),
and it's a source of great frustration to me that while the topic has
come up again time and time again on this list, no common solution has
taken hold in distutils.

Does this lack of consensus indicate that packager's needs are really so
unique that they each need to implement their own tailored solution?

--=20
The moon is waning gibbous, 95.1% illuminated, 16.9 days old.

--=-iXdo8wVkbgwOWsLADvJG

--=-iXdo8wVkbgwOWsLADvJG--