[Distutils] Timeframe of 2.0 again?

amk at amk.ca amk at amk.ca
Fri Oct 24 21:31:02 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:55:21PM -0400, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> Marc's point is that nested scopes are not necessary (although they
> could be useful) in distutils itself, therefore distutils should not
> require a high enough level just to be able to use nested scopes.

It's actually not so much language features as new modules that are of
interest. I have no great problems leaving the code base compatible with the
1.5.2 *language*; string methods, and perhaps 'print >>', would be
convenient, but having them wouldn't make the Distutils code much shorter or
better.

On the other hand, Python 2.3 adds optparse, which might let us discard
fancy_getopt, and the logging package would be useful for the output from
Distutils commands.  We could try to install the modules if the Distutils
are being installed on a pre-2.3 version, but that would be a lot of trouble
-- back-porting the modules, copying them into the distribution, etc.

--amk