[Distutils] Import extensions from zipfiles (windows only)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Dec 16 10:14:22 CET 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 09:15 PM 12/15/2004 +0100, Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> I have a first working version of an importer which can import extension
>> modules from zipfiles, avoiding to unpack them to the file system.
>> License is still LGPL, unfortunately.
>>
>> Subscribers to the py2exe-users list already know that it uses this code
>> which simulates the windows LoadLibrary call:
>>
>>  http://www.joachim-bauch.de/tutorials/load_dll_memory.html
>>
>> It works in simple cases, the only ones that I have tested so far.
>>
>> Shall I publish it for experimentation?
>

> Doesn't this technique require an extension module, which would mean in
> turn that we can't bootstrap it from the zipfile?  That is, it would
> have to be included in Python, which the LGPL would rule out anyway.
>
> Still, it sounds most interesting.  I hope in another week or two to
> have some time to hammer out a prototype for a self-extract API and a
> setuptools extension to build a basic archive format.  I'm thinking that
> rather than allowing metadata to be a holdup, I'd like to get a base
> implementation we can experiment with.  In that regard, your technique
> sounds useful too, but I'm kind of wary about the licensing issue.

I wonder why you put so much effort into avoiding the unzip
of the file ? What's so bad about it ?

In the end, the user will want "plugins" to be easily installable,
e.g. have the application install them for him. For that to
work, the most important part is a download manager. The rest
(unzip into the plugin directory) can easily be done using
standard distutils tools.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 15 2004)