[Distutils] Re: Import extensions from zipfiles (windows only)

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Dec 16 20:54:00 CET 2004

(If someone feels the cross-posting is no longer appropriate, feel free
to snip te recipients list)

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> writes:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>> I think Thomas would also like to have the option of py2exe
>> generating single-file "installation-free" executables, even if an
>> application includes extensions.

Yes.

>>  (That's not a plugins issue, of course.)

Sure.

> That's a valid case. However, I'd consider that a cosmetic
> thing: the days of one .exe does it all, drop-into c:\windows
> are long over :-/

Single file executables are not only a cosmetic thing:  Chances are that
an application breaks because one of the files are damaged, missing,
overwritten or so.

And them are damned simple to handle - not always does one want to
create an installer.

But the real reason (for me, anyway) are maybe more than one dll python
com servers in one process, which may even use python itself - but this
has been discussed before, and Philip even has his own ideas an this
topic.

Back to plugins: wouldn't it be nice if I simply copy the file
PyOpenGL.2.5.99.plugin into sys/site-packages and can then use it?

(Crazy idea, probably, but with the zip extension importer it may even
be possible to import the bdist_wininst created installer exe files
directly)

Thomas