[Distutils] Installing scripts

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jul 3 06:50:55 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2004, at 1:44 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> What is a static distribution file?
>>

>> A .tar.gz file or a ZIP file. Anything that's not an installer
>> and doesn't need the 'python setup.py install' dance.
>

> Can't .tar.gz files contain symlinks?  Would you even use zip on a
> platform that supported symlinks?

They can, but if you unzip them on platforms that don't
support symlinks you end up with empty files, so hard links
would probably result in more usable results (you end up with two
identical files).

In any case, I'm not really sure whether stripping extensions
really helps in any way. To me, removing the extension looks
like a purely cosmetic operation.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 03 2004)