[Distutils] Installing scripts

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 14:18:30 EDT 2004

[M.-A. Lemburg]
,,,
> In any case, I'm not really sure whether stripping extensions
> really helps in any way. To me, removing the extension looks
> like a purely cosmetic operation.

It appears to be a religious issue for many people on OSes where
extensions have no significance.  They're happy to pollute file
content with #! gibberish and editor turds, but are offended by
extensions on executable files.  So it goes -- conventions differ
across platforms, and platform-natural installation is a legitimate
goal no matter how foolish a given platform's conventions appear to
people on other platforms.