[Distutils] installing scripts

Stefan Seefeld sseefeld at art.ca
Thu Jul 22 16:21:48 CEST 2004

hi there,

When running 'setup.py build', distutils will generate platform specific
directories to hold the modules from where they are picked up by 'setup.py
install'.
Fair enough.
However, scripts seem to be considered architecture independent, i.e. they
go into
build/scripts-2.3 (say), no matter the platform.

I'm on a windows box and I'm testing installation of both, cygwin as well as
windows native
packages simultaneously. I.e. from within a cygwin shell, I run:

/cygdrive/c/python23/python setup.py install
python setup.py install

and here the trouble is that the second install will detect the scripts in
build/scripts-2.3
and just reuse them, despite the fact that during the build the first line
has been replaced
by the actual python interpreter used.
Thus, I end up with my script installed in /usr/bin, but starting with
'#!c:\python23\python.exe' !

What can be done about that ?

Regards,
		Stefan