[Distutils] Distutils at the PyCon 2004 sprints

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 21:14:23 EST 2004

[Phillip J. Eby]
>>> Fred, do you think we should go ahead and move setuptools to
>>> cvs.zope.org?

[A.M. Kuchling]
>> Shouldn't it go in the Python CVS tree, probably in nondist/sandbox?

[Phillip]
> Maybe so, but as a practical matter, I don't have commit access to the
> Python CVS. :)

And with an attitude like that, you're never gonna get it <wink>.

> Also, isn't it customary for packages targeted for non-current
> versions of Python to live outside the Python CVS?  E.g. logging,
> Optik, et al?

There's no non-accidental relation, as the nondist/ subtree has no
relationship to Python releases.

> Even if setuptools were adopted for 2.4, it would still need to
> be separately obtainable for 2.2 and 2.3 users.

The practical question is who y'all expect to *work* on this project.  That
you (Phillip) don't have commit access to the Python tree is an important
point.  If someone else who intends to work on it doesn't have commit access
to Zope CVS, and doesn't want to sign the contributor thingie Zope Corp
usually requires to get such access, then that's also an important point.

Despite that Zope Corp funded initial work on the SpamBayes project, it
started its life in the Python sandbox ("because" it was always going to be
released under a PSF license), and we decided it was easiest for our
contributors to set up a new SourceForge project for it.

Aim to make life easiest for your likely primary contributors.