[Distutils] Distutils at the PyCon 2004 sprints

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Mar 17 23:10:52 EST 2004

At 07:16 PM 3/17/04 -0500, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
 >Shouldn't it go in the Python CVS tree, probably in nondist/sandbox?

This would also be fine by me.  Whether the code is in the zope.org or
python.sf.net repositories is immaterial to Zope's immediate needs (I'm
fairly certain of this); whether it's covered by the PSF license or the ZPL2
is also irrelevant.  (If Phillip commits it to the zope.org repository, all
such versions will be available by the ZPL2.  I think the python.sf.net
repository is more flexible, but that's not important.)

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 07:27 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
 > Maybe so, but as a practical matter, I don't have commit access to the
 > Python CVS. :)

As Tim suggests, this is something that can be dealt with.

 > Also, isn't it customary for packages targeted for non-current versions of
 > Python to live outside the Python CVS?  E.g. logging, Optik, et al?  Even
 > if setuptools were adopted for 2.4, it would still need to be separately
 > obtainable for 2.2 and 2.3 users.

Your examples were developed for current versions of Python when they were
initially developed; they've remained available for older versions as well.
Distutils itself is in Python's CVS and is maintained for older versions at
all (there's a top-level module you can check out and get a separate
distutils distribution).  So I'd say that *if* setuptools is being developed
as a potential addition to Python's standard library, it's quite reasonable
for it to be in Python's CVS.  My own thinking is that its more of a testbed
for enhancements to distutils.  It may be that its also useful as an add-on
package that works with older versions of distutils as well (in which case,
the Python CVS is still a good place to maintain it).

As it stands, the code is Phillip's, and he can do with it as he pleases.  I
won't object to using the zope.org CVS, though the python.sf.net CVS may
prove better in the long term, especially if setuptools should maintain an
identity of it's own.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>