[Distutils] Distutils at the PyCon 2004 sprints

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 17 23:30:06 EST 2004

At 11:10 PM 3/17/04 -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>At 07:16 PM 3/17/04 -0500, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>  >Shouldn't it go in the Python CVS tree, probably in nondist/sandbox?
>
>This would also be fine by me.  Whether the code is in the zope.org or
>python.sf.net repositories is immaterial to Zope's immediate needs (I'm
>fairly certain of this); whether it's covered by the PSF license or the ZPL2
>is also irrelevant.  (If Phillip commits it to the zope.org repository, all
>such versions will be available by the ZPL2.  I think the python.sf.net
>repository is more flexible, but that's not important.)
>
>On Wednesday 17 March 2004 07:27 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>  > Maybe so, but as a practical matter, I don't have commit access to the
>  > Python CVS. :)
>
>As Tim suggests, this is something that can be dealt with.

Okay, then I'm somewhat more inclined to lean towards the Python CVS,
although naturally the most convenient thing for my packages is to leave it
in the Eby-Sarna CVS.

>Your examples were developed for current versions of Python when they were
>initially developed; they've remained available for older versions as well.
>Distutils itself is in Python's CVS and is maintained for older versions at
>all (there's a top-level module you can check out and get a separate
>distutils distribution).  So I'd say that *if* setuptools is being developed
>as a potential addition to Python's standard library, it's quite reasonable
>for it to be in Python's CVS.  My own thinking is that its more of a testbed
>for enhancements to distutils.  It may be that its also useful as an add-on
>package that works with older versions of distutils as well (in which case,
>the Python CVS is still a good place to maintain it).

Yes, it's intended to be both a testbed for future distutils enhancements,
and an immediately usable "field upgrade" for developers that want to use
its features.

>As it stands, the code is Phillip's, and he can do with it as he pleases.  I
>won't object to using the zope.org CVS, though the python.sf.net CVS may
>prove better in the long term, especially if setuptools should maintain an
>identity of it's own.

Okay, so I guess the Python CVS would be fine, although I have never used
SourceForge's CVS facilities as a developer before, so it may take me a
while to get my setup figured out.  If all else fails, you guys can always
send me the sprint results in the form of a patch against the Eby-Sarna
CVS.  :)