[Distutils] Distutils at the PyCon 2004 sprints

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Mar 18 03:39:16 EST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:10 PM 3/17/04 -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
>> At 07:16 PM 3/17/04 -0500, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>>  >Shouldn't it go in the Python CVS tree, probably in nondist/sandbox?
>>
>> This would also be fine by me.  Whether the code is in the zope.org or
>> python.sf.net repositories is immaterial to Zope's immediate needs (I'm
>> fairly certain of this); whether it's covered by the PSF license or
>> the ZPL2
>> is also irrelevant.  (If Phillip commits it to the zope.org
>> repository, all
>> such versions will be available by the ZPL2.  I think the python.sf.net
>> repository is more flexible, but that's not important.)

Note: if you ever want your code to go into the Python
distribution you'll hve to make sure that you own the
copyright on it and have full rights and title to the
code.

The Zope contributor agreement as it stands causes rights and
title to be shared between Zope Corp and yourself (whatever
that means).

In the end it's probably better for legal reasons to keep
Zope Corp out of this and leave the code in your CVS or in a
separate SourcForge project CVS (this is the way that many other
contributors of larger chunks of code have done it and
it's the most flexible).

Your decision, really :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 18 2004)