[Distutils] A bit o' help on creating a distribution with MingW32

Tue Oct 12 05:17:36 CEST 2004

I am having a bit of trouble creating a windows distributable
with a C module using MingW32.  While I can do:
         python setup.py build_ext --compile=mingw32
or:
         python setup.py build --compile=mingw32

I don't know how to do:
         python setup.py bdist_wininst --compile=mingw32

If I do:
         python setup.py build --compile=mingw32
         python setup.py bdist_wininst --skip-build

I get an executable with no tag for the particular python version.

The built executable doesn't record the python version at all, so even
if I rename whatever-0.4.win32.exe to whatever-0.4.win32-py2.4.exe, it
gives me the choice of installing in both python 2.4 and python 2.3
directories.

Actually I need to patch config.h before this works, but if I can get
the process down, I am sure I can convince somebody to accept my
patch to config.in (or whatever).

Is there some trick I am missing?

--
-- Scott David Daniels