[Distutils] A bit o' help on creating a distribution with MingW32

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Oct 12 08:40:21 CEST 2004

Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> writes:

> I am having a bit of trouble creating a windows distributable
> with a C module using MingW32.  While I can do:
>          python setup.py build_ext --compile=mingw32
> or:
>          python setup.py build --compile=mingw32
>
> I don't know how to do:
>          python setup.py bdist_wininst --compile=mingw32

You could use command chaining, if that's the correct word for that:

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist_wininst

or create a setup.cfg file which contains 'compiler=mingw32'.

> If I do:
>          python setup.py build --compile=mingw32
>          python setup.py bdist_wininst --skip-build
>
> I get an executable with no tag for the particular python version.

If that's really true (seems I cannot repro it at the moment, but that
may be because I don't use mingw32), you can use the --target-version
option:

    python setup.py bdist_wininst --skip-build --target-version=2.3

Thomas