[Distutils] re: Cross-compilation support in distutils?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Oct 17 06:32:25 CEST 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Jul 27 2004, Tim Gilbert wrote
> (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2004-July/004105.html)
>
>> As anybody who might have tried to cross-compile python before has
>> probably noticed, this isn't easy.  ...
>>
>> 1. Is there interest in adding cross-compilation support to distutils?
>

> Oh, yes.  Cross-compiling Python and its extensions (at least as of 2.2.5,
> the version I tried) is extremely painful, and we need to fix that.

Guido even likes the idea of adding support (see below).

>> ... Cross-compiling python for ARM howto:
>>      http://www.ailis.de/~k/docs/crosscompiling/python.php
>

> I found this quite helpful.  However, I'm still facing the
> problem of keeping setup.py from searching /usr, /usr/local, etc.
> and finding locally-installed packages.  I guess I should
> write a little patch to disable the implicit automatic
> search of those directories.

Hah.  Found a patch that does that.

Here's a page that describes everything I dug up about this
while searching tonight.  I wish I'd dug up more of this stuff before
I tried actually cross-building Python.
   http://kegel.com/crosstool/python.html
- Dan