[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Oct 20 23:56:22 CEST 2004

I've developed two bdist commands (bdist_pkg and bdist_mpkg) for usage
on OS X.  These commands apply to any setup.py that supports an
"install" command, similar to bdist_wininst, so it would be nice if
every setup.py didn't have to explicitly import something in order to
get the commands there.

I know I can make it work with a pth file that imports bdist_pkg, but
that seems a bit costly to do because it will end up importing a bunch
of stuff (distutils, mainly).

Is there another way to do it?

-bob