[Distutils] bdist_wininst under Linux with C extension modules

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Oct 21 18:01:38 CEST 2004

At 02:53 AM 10/16/04 +0200, Bastian Kleineidam wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I wrote a little [1]guide how to generate a .exe installer under Linux,
>even if your python application has C extension modules.
>[1] http://kampfwurst.net/python-mingw32/
>
>It is useful for me because I want to generate .exe installers and
>only have Linux installed on my machines.
>Perhaps other bdist_wininst/Linux fans find this useful too :)

Interesting.  It looks like there are definitely some things distutils
could do to make the process easier.  For example, bdist_wininst could
possibly sort out the install path issues on its own.

Actually, as complicated as your example setup.py is, I wonder if it might
not be easier to just run the Windows python under Wine, than to rewrite a
setup.py to support cross compiling.