[Distutils] Re: py2exe makes pygame.sysFont crash

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Apr 12 19:52:54 CEST 2005

Keith Nemitz <musenik at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have a small game that runs fine on Windows XP with
> just the interpreter, but after using py2exe to create
> an executable, the new exe crashes with this error
> message:
>
> ------------------------
> Pygame Parachute Traceback:
>   File "pygame\sysfont.pyc", line 253, in SysFont
> Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation
> Fault
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to
> terminate it in an unusual way.
> Please contact the application's support team for more
> information.
>
> I'm using python 2.3 and pygame 1.6. I assume that I
> need to explicitly add a library, but I'm not sure
> what or how. I hope someone might be able to assist
> me. Here is the py2exe code:

First possibility: when you run the game in the interpreter with 'python
-v mygame.py' python will print which modules are imported.

Second: run 'python -i mygame.py', which will enter the interactive
interpreter after the script finishes.  Then you can inspect
'sys.modules' to find out what has been imported.

The most important next step, if that has helped, would be to either
notify the pygame developers to update their py2exe sample script,
and/or write a helpful page in the py2exe wiki.

HTH,

Thomas