[Distutils] bdist_rpm and bdist on x86-64

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Tue Apr 19 15:55:03 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> I believe you can get away without patching anything, if you do:
>
> from distutils import sysconfig
> print sysconfig.get_python_lib()
>
> to which you either pass plat_specific = 0 or 1. This will properly
> parse the right Makefile (which is probably what you ended up doing).

The problem is that this doesn't find the Makefile if you use the
unpatched distutils on Fedora on x86_64. Fedora patches distutils to look
in lib64. The unpatched distutils looks in lib, and never finds it.

It would be nice if Python knew where its Makefile was.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net>
http://www.jeremysanders.net/                Cambridge, UK