[Distutils] bdist_rpm and bdist on x86-64

Mihai Ibanescu misa at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 19:45:10 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:55:03PM +0100, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
>
> >I believe you can get away without patching anything, if you do:
> >
> >from distutils import sysconfig
> >print sysconfig.get_python_lib()
> >
> >to which you either pass plat_specific = 0 or 1. This will properly
> >parse the right Makefile (which is probably what you ended up doing).
>
> The problem is that this doesn't find the Makefile if you use the
> unpatched distutils on Fedora on x86_64. Fedora patches distutils to look
> in lib64. The unpatched distutils looks in lib, and never finds it.

Sorry if I missed it from previous e-mails. Why don't you use Fedora's patched
distutils then? :-)

> It would be nice if Python knew where its Makefile was.

Python does, if it's in the standard location. /usr/lib64 was not necessarily
something that worked well for Python, at least not from the very beginning,
and that's because there is a prefix and an exec_prefix, and then an unpatched
python will just slap a lib after that. If multilib were developed to use a
totally different prefix than /usr (like /usr64), it would definitely have
been easier.

That, or I am missing the obvious fixes :-)

Misa