[Distutils] [Bulk] Re: Dependencies

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk78_it at yahoo.it
Sat Aug 13 23:18:25 CEST 2005

Alle 21:08, sabato 13 agosto 2005, Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> At 06:57 PM 8/13/2005 +0200, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
> >Hi,
> >Are dependencies taken into account inside PyPI records?
>
> No.
>
> >I mean both build dependencies and run dependencies.
>
> Neither.
>

> >If yes where can I find more info? How do setuptools manage it, how can I
> >access this info?
>
> Setuptools lets you declare this information in the setup script; see the
> setuptools.txt file for details.  The "egg_info" command writes the data to
> a file, that is then read by other commands and also put into the built
> egg's metadata.
>
> This information isn't something really suitable for PyPI, because the
> setup script is allowed to compute the information dynamically.  (Some
> dependencies might apply only to a particular platform, for example.)

Is there a a way(API) to interact with this information?
My goal would be creating a database of correspondences between setuptools/PyPI(one day) dependency and debian package names.
The software I am coding could be used by other packaging systems(rpm?) too. To create a package of a python module (immagine an egg inside a deb or rpm)
one could just use setuptools and my code. But I need to resolve dependencies: this is why I'll create a database of correspondences.

Ciao
Vincenzo