[Distutils] Req: easy_install.py --site-dirs

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk.it at tiscali.it
Sat Jul 16 22:19:21 CEST 2005

Hello,
I'm new to this list so I will introduce myself...
I'm an italian Ph.D. student working on
http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/PythonModulePackaging
http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagesFromPyPi
as google's SummerOfCode project.

Basically ubuntu (a debian derivative distro) wants:
1. a tool to create packages of python modules "automatically" from PyPI (like
EasyInstall does with eggs)
2. a setup where on python upgrade all compatible python modules are migrated
to the new installation.

I'm quite new to distutils so I'd like comments / critics / suggestions...

I hope ubuntu will adopt my work for breezy: I will actually code what we all
decide is the best solution (they pay me for this work).

Regards
Vincenzo