[Distutils] .egg media type? (was: PyPI upload doesn't support eggs?)

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:30:05 CEST 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 12:05 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I just tried doing the upload via the web interface, and got the same
> error.  It appears that PyPI doesn't support uploading eggs, which is
> surprising because I could've sworn that the sprinters at PyCon
> said they
> were putting eggs on the list of allowed filetypes.  But I just
> found the
> appropriate PyPI source code, and '.egg' isn't on the list of
> allowed file
> extensions, so I'll go ahead and file an RFE for this.

On an almost related note, what should the MIME content/media type be
for serving egg files via HTTP? It may be advantageous to use
"application/zip" [1].

A derivative like "application/egg+zip" would allow the media type to
be associated with easy_install or other handlers while preserving
the base media type information (although I'm not completely clear on
whether derivatives require registration).

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/zip

Ryan Tomayko
                                  rtomayko at gmail.com
                                  http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/