[Distutils] setuptools: Missing unmanaged module warning; Failed SVN cleanup; Wrong version in .egg name

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Nov 1 00:25:59 CET 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 08:37 PM 10/31/2005 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
> >svn: Unknown hostname 'svn.eby-sarna.com'
> This is a DNS problem that I just fixed (I think), please try again.

(Can't try from here, will try in the morning.)

> >3. It said:
> >
> >Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg
> >
> >But I asked for version "dev", and the Cheese shop entry I uploaded for
> >testing purposes (just to get the SVN URL into the long-description) was
> >different again: "0.2.1a-pre1"!  Why don't I get an egg with version
> >"dev"?
> Because when building from source, the version number is controlled by the
> source setup.py.

Ah, of course.

I eagerly anticipate the day when .require() installs at the start of
sys.path.  Do I understand correctly that, when this happens, we will in
practice be able to do

import smth

and be confident that we do indeed have module smth version 1.1?  Sorry if
this is a stupid question...

stupid-is-as-stupid-does ly y'rs,