[Distutils] setuptools using -D on package requirements?

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Thu Nov 10 23:52:21 CET 2005

Is there a reason I can't have setuptools automatically upgrade/
delete existing/conflicting package versions that are a 'requirement'
for the package I want to install?

For example, if I have the 0.3 of PasteScript installed, and run my
own package which requires (and has the URL for) the svn dev version
of PasteScript, here's what I get:

% sudo python ez_setup.py -D -f http://pylons.groovie.org/ Pylons

Reading http://pylons.groovie.org/
Searching for Pylons
Best match: Pylons 0.1dev-r87
Processing Pylons-0.1dev_r87-py2.4.egg
Pylons 0.1dev-r87 is already the active version in easy-install.pth

Using /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/Pylons-0.1dev_r87-py2.4.egg
Processing dependencies for Pylons
error: Installed distribution Paste 0.3 conflicts with requirement
Paste>=0.4dev-r362

I've tried -U as well, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to tell
setuptools to do this. Perhaps a 'Upgrade requirements if necessary'
option or something?

Thanks,
Ben