[Distutils] Setuptools 0.6a8 update to fix SourceForge problems

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 16 20:24:51 CET 2005

FYI, SourceForge changed their download pages such that older versions of
setuptools can no longer recognize them and follow the links to the "real"
download pages.  I'm releasing 0.6a8 early in order to address these
issues.  You can update your setuptools with:

     easy_install -U setuptools

If you have an 'ez_setup' subdirectory in a Subversion-based project, you
can use 'svn update ez_setup' to ensure you're requiring the latest version.

Unfortunately, there are still outstanding bugs, specifically the "space in
python.exe filename" problem, and the issue with creating RPMs from source
distributions that use the source-control-driven MANIFEST
feature.  However, these bugs are also in older versions, so they aren't
new to 0.6a8.  And 0.6a8 also fixes a lot of previous issues with doing
Subversion-based development, so it's a good upgrade to get anyway.

Sorry for the inconvenience; the original SourceForge processing code was a
user contribution and I didn't really vet it for robustness in the face of
SourceForge changes.  The new parsing code could still be broken by future
SF changes, but it's now less likely.