[Distutils] easy_install -U setuptools fails on Windows (workaround)

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Thu Nov 17 19:52:21 CET 2005

On 17 Nov 2005 at 13:21, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> If somebody with more Windows-fu than me can suggest a way to do a
> more exec-like exec, that unloads the launcher.exe and runs Python
> without dropping back to a shell prompt *before* the Python script
> runs, I could make easy_install safely self-upgrading on Windows.

No-fu here, sorry.

In olden times, I think this kind of stuff was done via .bat files and %if
errorlevel, plus creating temp copies of the .exe for subsequent respawn.

I don't think it's worth the time, an end-user warning should be enough for
this rare occurance (with self-upgrading easy_install)

..

oth, I think if the install renames the target file first, then creates the new
.exe with the correct name, that will work.

I'm not sure if you can delete a renamed .exe that's still in-use.

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
http://www.murkworks.com