[Distutils] Twisted and easy_install

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Feb 5 19:22:53 CET 2006

At 07:05 AM 2/5/2006 -0800, Jay Parlar wrote:
>I'm having trouble doing an install of the newest Twisted from the
>Cheeseshop, using easy_install. I took a quick look through the
>archives of distutils-sig, and couldn't find anything. I'm running on
>OS X 10.3.9, latest version of setuptools (did an 'easy_install -U
>setuptools' right before I tried installing Twisted). I've pasted the
>result below. Any thoughts?
[...]
>AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'name'

Twisted does some interesting mangling of the build_ext process in order to
support optional extensions, that are only determined at build time.  I've
been meaning to add a facility to do this in setuptools, but it's not done
yet, and in any case Twisted would have to *use* that facility in order for
it to work.  I'm afraid Twisted isn't supportable by easy_install at the
present time.

When I do add support for optional extensions, I plan to look carefully at
what Twisted is doing in order to make sure that the facility I add will be
able to meet their needs.