[Distutils] Weird PyPI Behavior

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jun 29 05:28:39 CEST 2006

At 06:27 PM 6/28/2006 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I didn't realize that this information was being broadcast.  I
>imagine I am
>unintentionally annoying people with all of my experiments. :(

Don't worry about it; there's always a certain amount of release flutter
taking place for other packages.  It just takes a while to get the
procedures down.  I was more worried about the prospect of one release per
commmit per project, or even daily snapshots of every project in Zope.  :)

>It isn't my intention to provide daily builds.  I just happen wanted
>to make
>quick and dirty releases while stuff is new.  These are like alpha
>release, but I'm
>leveraging the revision tagging to automate generation of release
>numbers.

Hm.  Well, different strokes for different folks.  I prefer to bump the
alpha or beta number, since a short number is easier for humans to refer
to; it's annoying to have to ask if someone has 0.6a9dev-r19684, versus
something like 0.6a9snap3.  The latter can be done with tag_build='snap3'
in your setup.cfg, modulo the "register" issue we've already discussed.

But of course your practices are up to you; I just mention this as an idea
to make communications about your projects a little easier, at the cost of
editing setup.cfg (or overriding --tag-build on the command line) when you
do a release.