[Distutils] Working environment

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Mar 12 15:56:58 CET 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:

>>> This script+config invocation.
>>

>> OK. Do you realize that for us, these are already combined?
>> That is, if you install Zope and make an instance, the scripts that
>> are installed have paths and configuration baked into them.
>> For us, these are just installed scripts.  There's nothing particularly
>> exciting going on here.  I want the same thing with the scripts generated
>> by easy_install (or something like it that we build, if necessary).
>

> Well, I can certainly see that it would be useful to give the script
> access to the location of the working environment, and from there it can
> load default configuration files.

That could be a start.

 > That the script can detect
> intelligent default locations for files -- entirely reasonable --

But probably too implicit, especially as a general approach.

 > isn't
> the same as coding the configuration file in the script.  That might be
> okay too, but config+script isn't the same as a script, it's something
> else.

OK, we disagree. People encode this sort of information in scripts
now,  Saying it is something else doesn't make it so.  If no one else
is interested in this, we'll try to figure something out and share what
we've learned.

Jim