[Distutils] easy_install ./mymodule.py

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:55:40 CET 2006

On 3/13/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> If you do this:
>
>      easy_install "http://somesite.com/mymodule.py#egg=MyProject-0.1"
>
> EasyInstall will treat the .py file as being an egg named MyProject, with a
> version number of 0.1.

Ok, thanks for the pointer. However, would it perhaps make sense to
have the option of automatically generating the egg name from the
module name (and using the name 'Mymodule", for example).

> That won't work, but it's possible I could have it look for an assignment
> like this:
>
>      __setuptools_entry_points__ = """
>      [console_scripts]
>      foo = mymodule:main
>      """
>
> On the other hand, this seems like a path to diminishing returns.  You
> might as well start using a setup.py if you need entry points.

I'm thinking of the extreme "scaling down" scenario here, shipping
only a single .py file (a "script"). When you have a setup.py script
you need to bundle it with the module.

When in the past you had a directory full of .py scripts that you
added to PATH, now you could just go there and do easy_install *.py.

--
Ville Vainio - vivainio.googlepages.com
vainio.blogspot.com - g[mail | talk]='vivainio'