[Distutils] should I use distutils for a gnome-applet?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Nov 13 22:07:34 CET 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> zc.buildout's main improvement over
> make is the use of Python as it's scripting language.

speaking as someone who has detested make from the minute I encountered
itsome 30 years ago, I think this is a big improvement.  But it also
makes me wonder why didn't you use scons?  It seems like it does
everything make it does only in a more easily understood way and has an
established user base.

for me the main resistance to using scons is that bumpy case words are
significant accessibility impediment.  For example, how would you
pronounce "Build" and "build"?  For most people they sound exactly the
same.  To differentiate requires a lot of additional noise either spoken
or heard.

---eric