[Distutils] easy_install of django sdist tarball omits data files

Matt Good matt at matt-good.net
Mon Dec 24 06:27:26 CET 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Graham Carlyle wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been trying to install a sdist tarball of a django svn snapshot
>> using easy_install but some of the packages data files (the admin
>> contrib app templates) aren't being installed. I've looked at the
>> easy_install web page and can't see anything that may help me install
>> these data files.
>>
>> I'm doing this as part of a deployment script that uses
>> easy_install to
>> install a web apps dependencies into a particular directory.
>>
>> Is this a misuse of easy install? django's setup.py doesn't use
>> setuptools and so easy_install seems to be creating an sdist_egg
>> on the
>> fly. I'm working round this by just scripting untarring, & "setup.py
>> install" etc. directly which is ok but it would be simpler if i could
>> just call easy_install for all my apps dependencies.
>
> I just hit the same problem myself.  The Django folks decided to quit
> using setuptools (for reasons which seem incomprehensible to me),
> and in
> the process also borked the ability to use easy_install on their
> now-non-setuptools-basd sdist.

Sigh.  From what I read of their complaints they could have all been
fixed with a 2-line diff to remove ez_setup from setup.py.  I don't
see anywhere they had a problem with setuptools itself, just with the
bootstrapping provided by ez_setup.  I tried replying to Adrian's
post about this, but I think my connection dropped so it may not have
gone through.  If you care about Django setuptools support you should
follow up to make sure they realize that they can use setuptools
without requiring an internet connection.

-- Matt